A busy programme of festive events and activities is taking place in Rochdale over the next few weeks. Last weekend’s Christmas Lights switch on at the town hall signalled the start of five weeks of entertainment, and to help plan your time during the run up to Christmas, a festive guide has been produced. The guide has been published by Rochdale BID, in partnership with the Council, Link4Life, The Wheatsheaf Centre and the Rochdale Exchange.
Festive highlights include: -
- On Saturday (30 November) there will be a Christmas Artisan Market on The Butts from 10am – 4pm promising a feast of quality gifts, food, mulled wine and other treats from local producers.
- Small Business Saturday returns on Saturday 7 December, with fantastic local independents having a stall in Rochdale Exchange Shopping Centre all day, showcasing a vast range of products and services available on your doorstep. And on the same day don’t miss the Festive Extravaganza at The Wheatsheaf Shopping Centre. Children will get chance to build their own Lego toys before adding them to the tree, as well as festive slime making, crafts, Christmas storytelling, Father Christmas and face painting. There’ll also be live music and dance from local groups.
- Father Christmas will be in his grotto every weekend from 30 November at Rochdale Exchange Shopping Centre.
- There’s a Christmas Concert in the stunning surroundings of the town hall on Thursday 5 December from 7pm, with Rochdale Music Service performing all the festive classics.
- On 5 and 19 December, re-live tales or terror and the ghosts of Christmas past with a Festive Ghost Walk, starting at 7.30pm from The Baum on Toad Lane.
- Rochdale Town Hall is being transformed into a wintery wonderland for a 20 minute walk through festive experience which includes a meeting with Santa and a gift. The ‘Christmas Grotto’ experience opens on selected days and early evenings from 6 to 12 December.
- On 14 and 21 December Father Christmas will be at Touchstones and each 45 minute session includes a meeting with Santa as well as a festive craft activity.
- A Victorian themed festive Royal Christmas Ball will be staged at the town hall on 20 and 21 December with delicious food and entertainment in the most festive of surroundings.
- On 21 December Rochdale Pioneers Museum celebrate 175 years of co-operation with a short play from 2pm followed by a Christmas brass band concert and festive food at 4pm.
A trip to your local bar or restaurant with friends and family is a festive tradition and Rochdale’s venues really come into their own at this time of year. The Medicine Tap, The Flying Horse Hotel, The Baum, The Cask and Feather and Vicolo del Vino will all host festive events and live music throughout December. The guide includes line-up details as well as ideas for some of the best places to enjoy Christmas drinks and food in the town centre. Rochdale’s newest addition – Bombay Brew is now open, specialising in craft ale, cocktails and Indian street food.
Rochdale Town Centre BID Manager Paul Ambrose said: “There’s such a lot going on in Rochdale in the coming weeks so we’re encouraging everyone to come and support our businesses, shop local and experience the festivities here. Markets, concerts, carol services, magical Father Christmas experiences, live music and more, on top of three hours free parking and fabulous independent shops … there’s plenty going on and we’ve some great restaurants and bars too. We’ve put this guide together to help plan your visit and highlight some of the treats we have in store.”
The festive guide is available online now at https://www.flipsnack.com/AE96C97F8D6/a-magical-christmas-in-rochdale.html
28 Nov 2019